All families have times when connecting is tough. As children age, relationships change. Here are some new ways to engage and improve your family’s connections.
- Reassure your child that you see how he/she is feeling.
- Help your child to name his/her emotional state.
- Discuss possible coping skills and ways to transition to a more neutral state.
- Set up goals together around behavior and character traits.
- Build strong transitions that includes time to self-soothe.
- Get on the child’s level physically to talk to them.
- Provide your child with the expectations of a situation prior to being there.
- Avoid escalation by noticing triggers and acknowledging them.
- Find time to enjoy each other’s company and shared interests.